Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Are you there, GiaGia?

So, unemployment has taken a weird toll on me.

I'm bored, and its depressing to watch my phone not ring, and my e-mail box fill up with nothing but info on sales from the Gap, so in an effort to keep myself busy, I've started walking.

Today on my walk I was flagged down by an elderly woman who looked entirely too much like my long-deceased grandmother. If she could have stood up straight, she would have tapped out at around 4' 9'', and she had a  thick eastern European accent that I didn't remember my GiaGia having, but I haven't seen her in a while, so went along with it. She needed me to cut a tree branch for her, and it was clear, now that I had stopped, she was not asking me, she was telling me. So, I cut the branch, without a saw, and then she immediately got me started on racking the lawn. At one point, to let me know I was doing a sub-par job, she walked over and picked up a leaf from an area I had already gone over.

After I had dragged the leaves across the street, she told me to wait while she went into the house. I figured she had something in there she needed fixed, but instead, she came back with this:
Two bags of seasoned croutons and a snack sized fiber one brownie, to thank me for my help. She also offered to have me come in for some toasted bread, but I kindly declined, twice.

Its been a pretty good day, and now I know where I can get toasted bread anytime I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment