Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pinky out

So. I believe I need to take a moment for etiquette.

At the market today, I was picking up a few things for dinner; Spaghetti sauce, brownie mix, white wine, and as I was reaching down to a low shelf for the ginger ale I heard the sound of bottles falling behind me. And now, in Boston, I wouldn't have flinched. It would have been rude of me to even acknowledge that person behind me juggling. But I turned around anyhow, and there was a boy, younger than myself -but not too much younger- holding about four bottles of Snapple, with two bottles on the floor, his knee his crooked holding open the freezer door, and he was giving me this look, this 'well, aren't you going to do something about this?' look. As if, in the time it took me to contemplate not turning around, I had inconvenienced him. It was my responsibility to pick up those bottles for him, regardless of my own juggling.

Now when I attempted to share this story, all I received was a 'I hate it when people don't help you in the grocery store.' Right. Now I'm the asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment