Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sneaky Pity

Four days ago, I went to my parent's house to pick up some of my mail, because yes, even as an adult, my permanent address is still my parent's house, and at the time of arrival, I felt pretty good. I had been out of work for two weeks, but I was returning, my bills could wait, life was good. My mother and stepfather starting asking questions about my employment. Whens, and wheres, and how long. Its shocking how quickly a conversation with my parents can go from innocent curiosity to ruthless bullying. Anyway-- I cried. Not even really cried though, just sniffled, teared up, and made a quick exit. Eight miles later I was at home, and I'd forgotten all about it. My mother however, had not. She called me a half an hour after I got home. Just calling saying 'hi'. Hi. My mother never calls just to say 'hi'. So, I said my hello, my awkward 'so, whats new?'.. and hung up. The next day, I had two e-mails in my inbox from my mother. One, a story about a pig being adopted by a family of dogs. Ok... I like pigs, I like dogs, that's totally an appropriate story to send me. I guess. The second was a series of pictures with warm, uplifting captions, characters from Winnie-the-pooh hugging with a flowery 'friends forever'' under it; cats looking into mirrors seeing lions ' its whats on the inside'... Ok.. moving on, I got up and saw my phone had a text message. From my mom. 'I love you. Mommie.' And then it hit me: My mother thinks I'm going to off myself. Super.

I have since received a phone call every evening, a text, and an e-mail every day. Just to say hi

No comments:

Post a Comment