Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Tailgated Again: Blacktop Blonde Edition

Finally, I'm back to reviewing beers that haven't spoiled. They just taste like they have.
This is another beer given to me by my friend Gordon, who I am very close to re-evaluating my friendship status with.

Blacktop Blonde is a cleverly named American Blonde Ale brought to us by Tailgate, the makers of Tailgate Hefeweizen, which I reviewed last year. I was drawn the the beer because, like the beer, I am a blonde, who also happens to be a part of a comedy theater called "Blacktop". And with that stretch to connect, all similarities between me and this beer stop.


Tailgate's cans seriously looks like they were designed by a drunk ten-year-old. The mustard yellow with black and silver details is about as appetizing as the beer that's in it. Maybe they had planned on putting all their effort into the craft brew, and so the marketing budget suffered as a result. Spoiler Alert: They didn't.

On to the pour... it was pretty lack-luster; pale, carbonated, it looked more like a hefeweizen than the Tailgate Hefeweizen did, which was just another reason for concern. It smelled like raspberries, and for a second I though, "huh, thats not terrible" and then the smell turned into sour raspberry farts. Except it didn't taste even as good as that. It was sickeningly sweet tasting. To quote Michael, "God. That. Is. Awful." It made my mouth do an involuntary puckering thing. It had that sharp burning taste that you get if you drink orange juice right after brushing your teeth, except I hadn't brushed my teeth.

I actually had two of these, and I will say, its no worse warm than it is cold, so that at least makes it unique. I give it a C-.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe, and this is just a maybe but, maybe you should have brushed your teeth after the first one and passed on the second one. I did say passed didn't I? Oh yes, that's what I meant.

    ReplyDelete