Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Birthday Gaffe

At what age are people suppose to stop asking you how old you are? I mean, how old does a woman have to be for it to become impolite to ask her age? And when people stop asking me how old I am, should I be insulted? Wouldn't it suggest by not asking, I must be an age worth hiding? Or am I just a big ball of crazy?

And at what age do people start trying to impress you with how old they are? Where is the switch there, where for sixty years a woman denies her age and then suddenly shes waving it around like a big old flag.

I think its safe to assume that regardless of age, I will continue to make an ass out of myself for the rest of my life. Because if I haven't made any of the necessary steps towards growth by now, that train has left the station.

Last week was my birthday, and a family member asked me how old I was turning, and, because I don't know the proper protocol, I decided I would be safe, and not tell her, and her response is "Heck! I'm 40 years older than you are, it hardly matters!"

And this was the dangerous spot. I knew I was excepted, socially, to scoff, say no, you aren't, you look too young, that's impossible. But then, what if by scoffing, I'm patronizing her(mathematical, it makes sense for her to be 40 years older than I am, am I suppose to just ignore basic math?!). Wouldn't it more insulting to be patronized by a younger generation? But by this point, I'd been standing doe-eyed for about 20 seconds, and all that I could come up with was "I.. am not surprised by that." It was probably not the right thing to say.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that probably wasnt the "right" response. But it was kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete