Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Thank Heaven.

Seven Eleven has come out with convenience-store-quality beer. Finally.


While shopping at my local over-stock discount food store, and I was surprised to find a 12-pack of a previously unheard of beverage, Game-Day Light, for just $2.99. Without any deliberation about why a 12-pack of beer might be $2.99, I bought it. After all, it is advertised as a "Premium Beer". They wouldn't just say that.

And I was in good company. Immediately after I picked one up, a drunk (I can assume) Asian kid came up and filled his cart. When I saw him in the parking lot later, I asked if he had ever tried Game Day Light. He said that he had, and it was "Definitely, definitely worth 3 dollars." Which, not surprisingly, has become Game Day Light's new official slogan.

Originally introduced to the market in April of 2010, not much has been said of the beer. Of the reviews I could find, Game Day Light has been described as having a "pond water" quality. Reviewers also suggest drinking it ice cold, because of the 'rotten vegetable' taste that comes through as it warms. One reviewer claimed "there is nothing to appreciate about this beer." My go-to site for beer ratings, Beer Advocate, gives it an overall rating of D-.

All that being said, the 7-Eleven website boasted that the new beer won a Gold Medal in 2010 from the U.S. Open Beer Championship in the American Light Beer category. Which is pretty much the same thing as my mom bragging about how smart/funny/pretty I am to all her friends. What I mean is, parent-companies tend to be a little bias.

As for my own review, all I can say is that it was Definitely, Definitely, worth 3 dollars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment